Assisted Self-Representation… Unbundled Legal Services…. Rule 11(b) Representation… Limited Scope Representation…

Confused Yet?

All of the terms above refer to the same thing in Colorado. Unbundled Legal Services is a way for an individual to obtain legal services and/or legal advice without hiring an attorney for full representation.

There is a component of the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct which allows a lawyer to provide limited representation to self-represented parties. This is permitted by Colorado Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b). Legal services can be “unbundled” so that an individual can obtain just the services needed.

If you are thinking, “I am representing myself. Why in the world would I want an attorney involved at all?” please don’t stop reading yet.

What does this really mean to you?

  • There is an option to obtain some legal assistance even if you do not want to hire an attorney in the traditional manner for full representation.
  • You can remain self-represented and in full control of your matter (while benefiting from some legal expertise and services).
  • If you do not want to spend money on attorneys, do not trust attorneys, fear attorneys may escalate a conflict, etc. there is still a way to get the legal advice you may need.
  • Your attorney under Rule 11(b) remains in the background providing only the assistance you request, directly to you, while not becoming involved with the other party or the attorney who may represent the other party.
  • If you cannot afford to pay for an attorney to fully represent you there is a way to get some legal help.
  • You can control how much money you want to spend for legal services.

Here are some reasons our clients have given for wanting unbundled services…

“I have a complex custody issue involving drugs and alcohol; I may need help with how to get this information before the Judge and with what type of expert to request.”

“I needed help to find a good expert for the purpose needed.”

“We have agreed to settle everything and even written out our agreements, but I need to make sure I am not missing something and that the agreement will hold up legally in the future.”

“I’ll be honest, I hate lawyers. I am afraid if I hire one everything will blow up. But… I need some help.”

“The attorney for my spouse filed a Motion that contains complex legal arguments and citations to case law. I need help with the writing the Response and with legal research.”

“I just want you available in case I need help. You can always refund my money if I don’t need much help, but I feel more secure knowing I have an attorney to confer with about Rules, deadlines, and legal concepts I may not understand.”

“I have to go to a hearing. I am not sure what kind of evidence I can present or what kind of objections I can make.”

You can find additional information about Unbundled Service here.

We offer a free consult to individuals interested in Unbundled Services in Family Law matters.


Leave a Comment